Animated VISEN logo

Visual Impairment :
Special Educational Needs

The logo of Blatchington Court Trust


The child or young person’s social care needs which relate to their SEN


The EHC plan must specify any social care needs identified through the EHC needs assessment which relate to the child or young person’s SEN or which require provision for a child or young person under 18 under section 2 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970.

The local authority may also choose to specify other social care needs which are not linked to the child or young person’s SEN or to a disability. This could include reference to any child in need or child protection plan which a child may have relating to other family issues such as neglect. Such an approach could help the child and their parents manage the different plans and bring greater co-ordination of services. Inclusion must only be with the consent of the child and their parents.


The LA will obtain details of social care needs through their statutory assessment process but any additional social care information can only be included with the parents' agreement. As this can be sensitive and confidential many parents choose for it not to be included.

If there are social care issues you should decide whether the information would support the child in school and help meet the child's special educational needs.

Go to previous page      
Go to next page